9.16.2006

Connecting to the World

What has been great about being in Singapore is that fact that I've been meeting people from across the world. You realize that the ideas and conversations you've been having move across boundaries. It is interesting to hear people talk about work they've created and make links to some of the things I've been thinking about.

For instance today, I was having coffee with the artist in residence here at 7213, Lise Nellemann. She was talking about how the space she organizes in Berlin looks to show work that goes beyond the gallery. How most the time the gallery is only a space for discussion, not a place to display. For me this break in the power of the gallery is crucial. It is a break from understanding art as a precious commodity and seeing it as a part of the social fabric.

Another difference here is that art is understood from a different point of view. It actually has value. I feel like what I'm doing has worth here. It seems as simple as valuing a perspective, which I feel is an easy thing to do. Maybe it's not so easy. I guess that I take it for granted. Actually, I have recently decided to listen to what people have to say and make the effort to try to make this happen. In a career where it is very simple to critique and find fault, I'm finding it refreshing to hear people look for positives, yet can make a solid criticism. Though, I should say that this experience has been within a small group of those at Theatreworks. Singapore is a different animal. I'm finding support, but a significant lack of the ability to hear criticism. Things are left unsaid and that is a problem.

A few random photos for you now.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home