8.06.2006

No time for the weary

Am almost a week into my trip to Singapore. Thus far the pace has been blistering. Most days I'm up at 8am, grab a coffee, read the paper, and then it's off to work until 10 or 11pm. I am amazed on the amount of time people are putting into this. It's 10pm on a Sunday night and things are still happening. My hope is that I can just keep up.

Mainly, I am working with Ka Fai and Daniel on putting together the media side of the project. There is a lot of video and we are using a complex system to run it all. Last night we were working until 2am and tonight it will be midnight before I head home.

In the end I know this will all pay off. Talking to people here, Keng Sen is held in very high regard. There is no reason to complain when you are working for a major artist.

Besides work, I have had a chance to meet a few people. Met a very nice artist who teachs at a local art school. I might go over there at some point to talk to some students. Also have been in touch with several others. Was invited to go to Indonesia to meet with this artist that is a part of the show. That sounds like fun I am amazed at the amount of networking that is happening there and they way opportunities come about.

In the States I always feel like opportunities must be made by the artist to show case work, where as here I feel any reason to do a show is a good reason. People come to see things and are interested what you have to say. Plus, people are willing to take chances. In comparison to the US where people always want a sure thing, which is great for established artists but good luck to anyone try to do something new. Maybe I can work to change that even if it only a small corner of the world.

Got back from playing soccer tonight with Ka Fai and his friends. We lost 5-2, but had fun and blew off some stress.

I've been trying to explore the country as best as I can with the little amount of time that I've had. Have tried a bunch of different dishes at local hawkers. They are cheap and very good. Most of which has been chinese. Malaysian food is next. Am looking forward to getting see some new areas away from the tourists. Got to see the Esplanade, the theater where the show will be presented. Looks like a durian. That is another I need to try.

Am off to work - Look forward to hearing from everyone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home