8.02.2006

Arrival

Arrived in Singpore yesterday morning 6:35am. Which would be 6:35pm for the East Coast. Overall the flight wasn't too bad. A stopover in Frankfurt allowed me to stretch my legs. Had fun watching people and writing down stories to describe them. There was the Russian mobster checking on the work his union cronies were doing at JFK. The ugliest man I've ever seen. Buck toothed, a Red dye job over gray thinning hair, with long neck folds. Maybe I shouldn't talk as I don't know what i'll turn into.

Thus far I'd describe Singapore as a tropical top. A beautiful mixture of the old and new balanced with green pacific fauna. The people begin their mornings quietly over a coffee and noodles, and ending their evenings in a whirl of lights and music.

I'd also have to say that if we Americans developed capitalism, then it those here is Asia who will perfect it. I spent time today walking the main shopping center Orchard St. The buildings are a mass of shops and hotels, packed so tightly that it had for me to keep my attention on what what in front of me. My eyes kept moving about unable to rest until I actually entered a store.

At the moment, I'm sitting in the offices of Theatreworks and I'm seeing how this place works. It is 8pm at night and half of the staff is still here. They are very dedicated people. I would have to guess that this is typical of a place doing the work they are doing. As of yet, I'm still very unsure of what I'll be doing. Thus far all I know is that I'll be helping with the video installation that is taking place. I've meet the two people involved in that part of the project and it seems to me that they have much more experience. To the point that they wouldn't want to teach me how to do something when they could do it themselves. What it sounds like is that i'll be helping edit video that has to be cut apart and reorganized to fit on a 30m x 60m screen. this will be interesting and I'll get to learn something.

Have meet some interesting people and might even be playing soccer this weekend. Just the mention of soccer and it open doors. My goal for this is to not only work this project, but get to explore a bit of the culture.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Matt congrats on makin it to the far far far east. Take lots of pictures while your there. Still workin here in Boston, nothin new. Waitin for designers... Just remember that you are there for a reason so don't feel bad about not knowing stuff, and im sure people will be more open to teaching you stuff after they get to know you.
take care

9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home