9.03.2006

In the City

Having escaped from the production for a little while, I've been spending time seeing the Singapore Biennale that began just last Friday. It is an exciting time for the arts in Singapore. So much is taking place. The influx of people and funding is hoping to launch a more vibrant scene for creativity.

At the moment, I'm going to keep my thoughts to myself. I'll be writing for a critical reader that is being posted on the Substation Magazine. With the hope of seeing something published by the end of the show.

The last three days has had me tromping all over the city to see as much as I can. I've seen much of it, but now need to spend a bit time returning to the work. Hoping to breathe it in and contemplate it a bit more. It's more about familiarizing myself with the artist and where they are coming from, than just seeing things.

Have been getting in touch with many people. Have met a few curators from Singapore and Australia. Plus there are others that I'm going to get to at later dates. It's been hard to keep track of names. Called a guy Charles, when his name was John, today. He is a gallery director in Hong Kong. Guess that is the end of that.

It has been interesting to just see how this all works. There is a core group of "Art/Biennale" people who have come in and are doing the tour. Heard them speak and feel like its the pro Biennale bandwagon. Over time, we will see if this is able to sustain itself. Felt like academic discussion. The type of discussion that takes place and when it is over, doesn't really do anything. My understanding is that it's food for thought.

I forgot my camera, otherwise I would have photos to post. Will get them up tomorrow. Some interesting shots of the work.

Anyway, I hope that everyone is doing well. Am still not sure when I'll be returning to the US. Could be the end of September, mid October or the end of October. Depends on funds and my desire to stay.

At this point last year, I was beginning my last semester of graduate school. It is really nice not to be on a academic calendar anymore. I felt like the deadlines of school forced issues that need to be thought about more. The ability to develop work and play for however long I see fit, seems like a great relief. What has been great about this environment is that work and ideas are coming at an aggressive pace. And I am listening to everything. Even the simpliest idea, I'm going to try to do. Seeing the processes that are talking place in others people work and the work at the biennale has made me realize that I just need to get work going.

I'm very hunger to get a studio up and running - The work is what is important.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home