8.10.2006

8 hours of sleep

Am writing this posting at the end of what have been a long few days. In the past 72, I'm going on about 8 hours of sleep.
We've been extremely busy working on the show and time demands that things get down. I was happy when mandator rest was required in a meeting today. Plus, Keng Sen is heading out of town tonight. So we will get some rest. Plus, I think we are grabbing a drink once things are done today.

As for things other than work. Last night Theatreworks treated several of us to a meal a local restuarant. Had an amazing variety of foods. Most of which I found puzzling. The oddest of them all was 100 yr old eggs. The eggs are stored for 100 years and only brought out once they've completed there term. With a amazing sauce they were quite delicious. Also a North Chinese pork dish. The food was very powerful and extremely tasty.

We are in the seventh month of the lunar calendar, which means that Ghost are arising to haunt the earth. Welcome to Hungary Ghost Month. In conjunction with National Day (similar to the US 4th of July), the hungary ghost festival is a tradition throughout the area. People have been leaving small offerings for the ghost that haunt the earth. There are also festivals called gatai where music is sung and items are auctions off for luck. I'm hope to see one this weekend.

What else - So, I've fallen in love with this place. I was really looking for a change of scenery. I wanted the antithesis of Madison and Singapore is just such a place. Though, with English being spoken everywhere it isn't too foreign. It's the best of both worlds. The weather is warm, the beaches aren't too far away and for a huge city I'm finding it very affordable.
I'd love to stay for a while. That possibility might arise.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who ever thought that you would leave the country to work harder than you ever have before and only to love every moment of it. Much like anywhere, the wonders of a place do eventually wear off. But 100 year old eggs, I don't think I could ever get used to something like that. I know you said they were good but what of the smell? Glad to hear your going to actually get some rest. Enjoy the festival. It must be nice to be in a place that actually celebrates its life rather than like here in the U.S. where everyone mourns existance.

7:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You tourist are really cute. Those are "Century Eggs" and they are not really a 100 years old. We have food standards here too, you know.

By the way, the festival is Hungry Ghost (as in "I'm starved") not Hungary Ghost (as in the European country).

9:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home