2.17.2007

Good Day

Today was one of those days where things fit into place and the neurons in my brain have been firing at full. Ideas have been ever present and I've even had the chance to devour some theory. It is the type of day that I want to have everyday, but life tends to get in the way.

Yesterday consisted of a meeting with a local artist and gallery owner. Went to visit her gallery and then was invited to have dinner with her and several friends. The short trip became an interesting night spent meeting really nice people. Mix in good food and a few beers, and you have a great time. Though being the youngest at the table, I felt at ease and a part of the dialogue. And what a dialogue it was. Ranging from architecture to art, we covered a lot ground. I kept making similarities to the conversations I have with friend and aquantances of my own age. These people had nothing to hide and it atleast seemed like honesty presided. You never know though.

Another discouragement in my present situation is that I feel as though young artists aren't willing to have a dialogue or converse on an honest level. People are always hiding behind words that are too complex and meaningless. I've always felt that this pervasing competitiveness that is in the art world really stifles what could happen. The last two weeks, I've been reading about the Situationists, a group creatively and politically motivated. When was the last time I had a conversation that was politically progressive and not just a spew of words from FOX, CNN, or the NY Times. Status Quo prevails. Again, it is all about talk and no action. That is what I miss, action. It is probably why I'm making work that gets back to physical activity and connections. It is this loss of connection between people and it's replacement with these fake, empty tendrils, that bothers me. I keep having a conversation with a guy at work, but it never gets past anything more than these very shallow interests we have.

With all the time I have been spending near works of art (I'm a gallery attendant), I have had time to think about some major artists and their work. It has given me time to concentrate on this work. I have lived with it so much so that I even know its flaws and how it will one day fall apart. What I see is moment in history. A moment that took place almost 40 years ago. Now it has become a relic of business transaction. A legacy of two people that spent a great sum of money to support that type of work. But what now? It becomes a tomb stone, a monument. An object that really know one cares for, except when they are told to do so. I wish more money was spent in creating work than in building this didactic history. What I do now is watch the slow decay of what was once a great idea. Now I get to interact with the people that are being paid to make that idea or value last as long as it can. Where is the true meaning or worth?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.

10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home